Thursday, December 21, 2006

A dog's life, liberty and the persuit of happiness.

It’s almost past midnight. I lock my PC and leave the office with a friend. When we reach my place, I get out of my friend's car and walk towards my gate on a well lit alley. I notice a dog coming in my direction. A second later it starts barking. Maybe it has spotted a cat or something. I slowly walk forward. Then over the next couple of seconds it is joined by a dozen or so dogs and the whole pack coming straight at me. I turn around and walk away. First slowly, then briskly as the dogs came closer, making sure not to panic and run because I remember someone telling me that would not be a smart thing to do. Finally managed to go around the block and sneak into the house from the other side. The dogs followed me almost half the way and then decided to let go after they'd made sure that the interloper had learned his lesson.

Not everybody is as lucky. Every day hundreds of people are bitten by stray dogs in Bangalore. Yet the law allows packs of stray dogs to freely roam the streets. Apparently, the so-called animal rights activists believe that the dogs' right to life, liberty and happiness takes precedence over that of the ordinary citizen.

No comments:

Post a Comment