Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Je Twitter, donc je suis.

"Je pense, donc je suis", wrote René Descartes. In Latin, that would be "Cogito, ergo sum". In English, it translates to the famous quote "I think, therefore I am". (PS: Just trying to appear intelligent:) If only it were that simple.

What is more important though, is that others think of me. It would be nice if they thought good things about me, but far more imperative to my existence is that they think of me at all. Like the old saying goes, "Above all, one wishes to be loved. If not loved, then respected. If not respected, then feared. And if not feared, then atleast hated. But never to be forgotten". It’s no fun being the invisible boy.

This is where Twitter comes in. I’m not referring here to the particular service but to the phenomenon that it has spawned. People like to snack on info. And people need people. Put those two together and we what you get is something a lot like Twitter.

I don’t expect it to be the next killer app or anything like that, but it’s definitely not a passing fad. In fact, this article in Wired seems to suggest that Twitter could perhaps be a sneak preview of something totally new – a world where computers become an extension of the human mind – Augmented Cognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment